Tuesday, January 18, 2011

GOD IS WORTHY

Ok so it is Week Two of "Backpacking Through Joshua" and since I can't sleep.. I figure I might as well get up and "lace up my boots".. and take a stroll (I won't go far... I promise)..


So Chapter 2 of Joshua is about Rahab.. Rahab believes in God just because she sees and hears other people and their reaction to "The Israelites".. The whole country is scared of this people.. why? Because they have heard the stories that have been being told about how the Israelites crossed the Red Sea.. It just opened up.. and no one has been able to fight them and wipe them out... Because GOD is with them.. He alone is Worthy of worship, respect, fear, and adoration..


Putting it out there

(1) Have you ever been influenced in either a positive or a negative way concerning your relationship with Jesus? How does this influence your behavior now? (2) How much responsibility do you think Christians have to live a particular way?


(1) Yes, most likely in both ways.. I am sure that I was influenced early in my life by how Christians take care of one another.. which was probably the biggest influence of a positive sort.. And that has probably been the best influence because I really do try to care for other people in some of the same ways today.. I am very sure that I try to make sure to help as often as I possibly can.. whenever I see a need.. and it is not only with my Christian believers that I do this.. (like take food to someone when they are sick)..

I am also sure that I saw at least once in my life that Christians are NOT perfect.. and for a time that really threw me for a loop.. esp. when the Christians in question were in positions of leadership.. I thought that we should always strive to be perfect.. and I guess naively at the time "Above" the temptations that kept non-Christians from being a Christian.. I think that we should still strive to actively fight the worldly temptations but I am not so naive as to think we are all perfect.. (I for sure know that I fail often in my own temptations and while they may not always be as visible to the world as some other temptations are, they are non-the less temptations and failures when I talk to God... )


(2) I do think Christians are going to be held responsible for their lives... and that we are told in several places in the Bible that people believed because of the example set before them by someone else.. Acts 4 is one place.. people believed because of the examples of the Apostles.. Eunuch in chapter 8.. so Yes, I do think our example is the most important way we have of reaching others for Christ.. it is much easier to lead by example than by just telling someone.. often people want to see if you are for real.. if you really believe.. I could tell my kids all day long not to do something.. but if I was doing that thing which I was telling them was wrong.. then were they really going to believe that I thought it was a bad behavior.. no, they were more likely to do it anyway.. such as smoking.. If I had smoked and yet said to my kids.. I better never catch you smoking.. some time in their life, they would more than likely have tried it... since I did not smoke, they were more likely not to try it.. I can not live in sin and still win souls for God.. People will see right through someone who only talks the talk.. and never walks the walk..

Asking GOD

(1) What does this passage tell me about your character? (2) Are there any aspects of my character that reflect poorly on Your Character? (3) Is there anything I need to make right to untarnish Your name?

(1) You alone and above all must be worthy and praised. You keep your promises, you are mighty... you are omnipotent.. (2) I am sure that I am not near as worthy as I should be to be called a Christian.. I know that I am not perfect. I can only hope that HIS (YOUR) Grace is sufficient. (3) I will strive each day to do better.. to keep my promises to God.. to study, to pray, to live a Christian life and let Him shine HIS light through in everything I do..


ASKING MYSELF

(1) Do I truly believe GOD is worthy? (2) Do I believe my behavior is important to other people's salvation? (3) Does my behavior reflect this? (4) Why or why not?

(1) Do I think GOD is worthy? Absolutely and without a doubt.. I do believe GOD is worthy. (2) I do believe my behavior might be important to other people and their salvation.. (3) I do strive to make sure that my behavior is reflecting this. AM I perfect.. No.. NO.. NO, I am far from perfect.. as far as I know there has only been one perfect person and that was Jesus.. I know I make mistakes, huge ones sometimes.. I know I have plenty of room for improvement.. but, Yes I do think that in most cases that my behavior is tempered by God's grace and that others can truly see HIM in my life.. (4) My temper is one of my biggest struggles.. and I can see huge improvements over the last 10 or so years.. but I still fall short.. I still don't always keep my promises to God. I try but I do fail.. I still need to be in the word more.. and pray more often.. and follow through.. But I think that comes with practice too.. So this study should be great practice... Hugs to you all.. Cyndi Anne

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cyndi - This is just like from years ago, sitting in the big classroom in Bryant on a Tuesday morning. Except we can sit in much comfier chairs and we don't have to take turns watching young kids! lol

I love this post and I can relate to so much of it. Thanks for sharing your heart!!

CyndiAnne said...

Thanks Jen.. I agree.. I sure miss those days, and often did when I went back to work.. I do love that I can do this study anytime, anywhere (that my computer can go) or at any time of the night or day.. Seems lately I am much more likely to be up at 3:00 am than 10:00 am.. LOL.. (I sure do miss seeing you)