Saturday, February 12, 2011

GOD IS HOLY

PUTTING IT OUT THERE
(1) Have you ever met someone that you could tell was a Christian by first impression? (2) Do you think you are easily recognizable as a Christian? (3) Why or Why Not? (4) Modern Christianity tends to value "Blending in" more than "standing out"-- agree or disagree (5) Why or Why Not?

This is a really hard question.. esp. without making certain judgements or basing my observations on things that could be judgemental...
Since I have been around Christians almost all my life... or people who have expressed that they are... I was not sure how I would answer this question... It really has made me think... ponder and reflect... I think that most of the people that I meet or have met in my life are at least attempting to be decent and good people.. Are they all Christians??? Most of them are but a few either are not, or they have not really allowed GOD to change their life.. How do I know they are not??? I don't for sure.. but they have not really allowed GOD to be involved in their daily life.. they either have told me this, or by slight differences in their lifestyles, I have come to know that they at least are not daily Christians.. (Once or twice a year at most).. I am not, nor have I ever been perfect.... and I do sin often and most likely more than once daily...
(2) SO WHAT MAKES ME DIFFERENT???? I think that nothing but the BLOOD of Jesus makes me different... I know in whom I am believed.. and nothing, no one, nor anything will ever separate me from HIS perfect love... (except myself).. I accepted HIS gift and HIS Love.. and I try to spread love and forgiveness.. I try to daily seek HIS will and guidance.. YES, I mess up.. AND YES, I try to be different... But I don't try to be so different that I make people run the other way screaming... at least I hope not.. I try to "walk the walk" and "talk the talk".. My speech is not so awful that people drop their mouth and say OH MY.. Do I never say a bad word?? Well, I do try not to.. but yes, I confess that I do on occasion say something I know I should not say.. and yes, I get angry.. but I used to make huge scenes when I got MAD.. Now, I try to calm down and think about how Jesus would handle the same situation.. and most times I change what ever I was going to do or say.. I do lose my patience in some cases more easily than I should.. I will say that I have recently been told by several people... whom I had never known by anything other than coming or going from our little apartment in Marion... that they knew I was a Christian.. And I think it was mostly because my language was not bad.. I treat all people like I want to be treated... and I respect other people in general.. but I don't always believe that just because someone does not ever say curse words, that it is a qualification of Christianity..
but I do think that when you treat others like you want to be treated.. it is at least one of Christ's teachings...
(4) Modern Christianity is a lot more (In my opinion) about letting people live their own lives.. and instead of really trying to find out if a person is a Christian... In fact... we have had neighbors that we have known for more than a year.. and I can say honestly that I did not know for sure if they ever went to a worship service.. we had invited them several times to different things.. but as far as we knew, they did not attend worship services anywhere.. they have always been great neighbors.. and have done many things to help others out.. But we have not ever just said, "Hey, are you guys Christians..?" I kind of would like to know... but I am not sure that I would ever walk up to anyone and ask that??? It would be kind of nice to have a certain "Patch" given to you from GOD when you become a Christian.. or something very noticeable..

These I plan to ponder on a lot more.. may actually answer them.. but maybe not so publicly..
ASKING GOD
(1) What does this passage say about your character? (2) What action would you like me to take as an outward expression that I am set apart? (3) Is there something that you have already asked me to give up/do/put aside that I have been resistant in obeying?


ASKING MYSELF
(1) Do I truly believe GOD is HOLY? (2) Is there anything that distinguishes me as a Christian? (3) What is holding me back from being set apart? (4) Whose opinion takes precedent in my life?

No comments: