Saturday, February 19, 2011

FIREFLIES (Copied)

A friend shared this and I loved it.. I hope I am a FIREFLY... (Thanks Stacey)

Fireflies – that is what I think of when I think about the recognizable Christians around me. I know – Weird but I had once heard it explained using this example and over the years I have come to love the picture, so I have adopted and modified it slightly to make it my own.

Fireflies are strange little bugs. I am chuckling at little inside because I am not a big bug fan. Some really annoy the crap out of me. Some, well, let’s just say, I am not really getting their usefulness, but fireflies – I REALLY like fireflies.

They are basically plain old “ugly” beetles. I say “ugly” because there is nothing really remarkable about them and if you look closely they are, well, ugly. If you wanted a pretty bug you’d pick a butterfly or a dragonfly, not a beetle. The thing that makes a firefly a unique bug is its ability to produce light from their butts. Now, the practical purpose for lighting up is to attract their mate and there are different ways the emit their light to communicate, but for my purpose, I like to think it is their way to tell the world that they have LOVE to give.

I think it is really cool that during the day when the sun is shining (or when things are well), it’s not really easy to see them. They are there of course and if you look really hard or need to see them, you can pick them out. But, it is when the sky darkens that the firefly’s light becomes really apparent. They become “beacons” in the night.

Now, fireflies are not like any other bugs. Bees are attracted to sweetness, but they can quickly become aggressive and cause pain. Mosquitoes, they are purely out for a good meal and will try to suck you dry. Ants are out to meet their own needs and can quickly become overwhelming should they find something they really want. Locusts, their incessant buzzing is annoying and they can swarm at a moments notice.

But, fireflies, they are different. They are out to share love. They may not pretty, but they can bring light to the darkness. They are not loud or obnoxious. Their light isn’t overwhelming, but gentle and soft. They are a pleasant, often welcome, sight in summer. I think that is why children spent hours catching them in jars so they spend hours watching them.

There are a few people in my life that I consider Fireflies. They are people who are gentle and kind. They are patient and desire to love others. They are not perfect but willing to be real and in a gentle manner, be a witness of how Christ is working in them. I love to watch these friends from afar (when they are not aware) and see how they are God’s hands and feet here on Earth.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” - John 13:34-35

No comments: